the back 40 _ NOT_top 40

the back 40 _ NOT_top 40
the beginning: 1970 : Rick Hutt, Nick Paterson, Jerome Jarvis, Bob Mahood, John Lowrie, (left the band shortly after this picture was taken)

from the U of W paper 1974

from the U of W paper 1974
U of W campus paper 1974 Rick (in shadowland) Dave Bob Jerome Nick Tom (pitzing the violin)

Poster Collage 6 pc Spott Farm: 1973-'75

Poster Collage 6 pc Spott Farm: 1973-'75
(Top-bottom L-R) Bob Mahood, Rick Hutt, Dave Scott, Jerome Jarvis, Tom Holmes, Nick Paterson

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Finally Some Spott Farm Music you can hear (i hope)

Follow the link to my Face Book "MY BAND" page. There are  now 3 Spott Farm songs and 2 of my own songs on the player. Look for the song: "I Said She Said" 
http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/control_room/jeromejarvis#?tab=profile&subnav=profile_songs


 This is the story behind the song "I Said She Said":

In 1973 our band SPOTT FARM wanted to do a Beatles song; but it would have to be perfect as we were sticklers for performing tunes as close to the original versions as possible. (With Beatle music this is not easy). So instead we took this tune from the REVOLVER album and gave it "the Treatment" till there was little left of the song but the lyrics and a few scraps of the melody. This radical departure from the perfect copy concept was wonderfully liberating. The instrumental section is, for my money, some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard; but I may be biased.
I've done all I could to restore this recording which was taped LIVE ON THE AIR by the community radio volunteers at WIRED WORLD. RADIO WATERLOO; but the master tape was deeply flawed and phased. Just for fun I've also taken a snippet from the arrangement and turned it into a morphed-up reverse guitar intro which was never part of the song.
So this is a Spott Farm re-arrangement of a Lennon song inspired by a conversation he had with Peter Fonda who had heard Tim Leary reading from the Tibetan book of the Dead. 
If anybody wants to sue me for taking this liberty I invite them to try.
 -Jerome

3 comments:

  1. That is a very cooool version of "I said, she said". That gives me shivers. I love the middle part. This is why the band needs to be heard.

    Thanks Jerome

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. Wow, does this bring back memories!By the time I arrived on the scene things had gotten a "smidge" better. Although I was anorexic at the time, it would not have occurred to me that you were not eating well because you had no choice.
    I do remember the snow drifts on the foot of the beds in the band room. The music was always great even without power, the vocal practices as I was drifting off to sleep were sweet to listen to..the harmonies.
    Thanks for putting this together for all of us "old" fans. :=)Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the satisfaction that we experienced when getting closer to the final arrangement...
    In those days, doing a make over of any Beatles song required a certain amount of reverence....
    I always felt that this version showed a sincere respect for the artist !
    Thanks J for all your work... the memories live on !!
    nick

    ReplyDelete